What to Do if You Suspect Nursing Home Abuse

Nursing Homes should always be a safe and secure place for your loved one to be taken care of as they grow old. Unfortunately, we know now that is not always the case. All too often, elders in our community are victims of Nursing Home Abuse. They often are not able to speak the truth to those around them. If you have a loved one in a Nursing Home, it is important to often check in on them and look for any warning signs of Elder Abuse.

If your loved one has recently shown any unexplained bruises, acted strangely, lost weight, adopted poor personal hygiene, or seems suddenly unresponsive, you should pay attention for any more hints of Elder Abuse. If you suspect Nursing Home Abuse, here is what you should do:

Ensure Safety First

Obviously, your loved one’s safety is of the utmost importance. If you are in a situation where you fear for their safety, call the police and stay with your loved one, whether that is in the Nursing Home or taking them home with you.

Talk to Your Loved One

A good starting point is asking your loved one directly if they have been threatened or harmed. Understand that they might not be comfortable admitting the truth of the situation either way.

Document Everything

If there are any bruises or signs of physical abuse, take photographs of them. Write down anything that your loved one says alluding to the issue. The more evidence of Elder Abuse that you have, the easier the rest of the process will be.

Talk to the Nursing Home Administrators

Speak with the administrators of the Nursing Home about your concerns. They should have a firm policy already in place for addressing any Elder Abuse issue. While it is true that it can be difficult to resolve issues within a set system, you should discuss your concerns with those in charge of the Nursing Home if you feel comfortable doing so.

File a Complaint

In Alabama, you can file a complaint against a Nursing Home through the Alabama State Survey Agency. You can find the Nursing Home Complaint Form on their official government website, and they will be in touch with you from there.

Speak With a Lawyer

If you suspect that your loved one may be suffering Nursing Home Abuse, it is important to speak with an experienced lawyer about the issue. At John M. Totten, P.C., we have plenty of experience getting clients the compensation they deserve against Alabama Nursing Homes. Contact John M. Totten, P.C. today to speak with someone about your issue. Good people need good lawyers – so give us a call today!

John M. Totten